Pulmonary Embolism at 25

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Things I am Learning

I sit here googling a storm looking for what kinds of cold medications I can take. I was hit by storm today with a mega sore throat and sinus headache. Little did I know that the OTC medications I usually take interact with Coumadin. Boo hoo. No meds for me.

I went in to the INR Clinic today. My INR was at 1.9. A little bit of a drop since the last time I went in. The nurse said it was okay, considering I missed a day of the medication. My dosages were not changed and I will be going back in two weeks. What a relief! Having to go in daily and then weekly was getting annoying and expensive!

I learned that I did not lose any weight during this whole ordeal. It certainly feels like it! I guess my weight is just "shifting".

I have been asking various nurses about pregnancy and if it is a possibility. They answers I have been getting have been - plan for it. During the pregnancy I wouldn't be taking Coumadin. The Coumadin in my system would abort the baby. In planning for a pregnancy, I could prepare to take blood thinner shots - more than likely Lovenox - twice a day. I had taken these shots and given them to myself during my hospital stay and several days after. I couldn't imagine doing it for nine+ months! I had given them to myself in the stomach. During a pregnancy the shots would need to be given in other places like the arms.

As with all of my questions, I will be confirming answers with the Hematologist I will be seeing next week. I will also be asking her if I can continue with my karate performances. I spoke with one of my black belt instructors of couple weeks ago and he offered that I still participate but take it easy and go at a more reasonable/comfortable pace. That would be awesome, but at the same time what is karate without force?!?

1 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog. feel better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home