Pulmonary Embolism at 25

Friday, May 04, 2007

Springing in Spring

All is well medically. I have tested at 2.0 the last two months I have gone in for INR check-ups. I go in for a genetic re-test, if you may, to find out the final details of my diagnosis in June. I doubt that a genetic test can be screwed up, but I am going in for a retest for the sake of my sanity. It sucks being on blood thinners, but I can handle it if it will keep me alive!

So far, five months into my new lifestyle, I have been managing pretty well. I have been watching the amount of Vitamin K I take in and have cut way back on the unnecessary guilty pleasures of life. Funny enough, a co-worker offered me some of her avocado today and I couldn't help myself but accept her offer. She felt bad once she realized avocados are no-nos for me. I had to promise her the offer wouldn't come back to haunt her.

I went in to an OB/Gyn to ask about birth control options and something to help ease the monthly pains. Since Tylenol is the only pain reliever I can take, and I do not react at all to Tylenol, I was hoping for a prescribed alternative. The Doc. I saw recommended putting me on progesterone pills to regulate my cycle somewhat and aid in pain relief. She said the downside would be spotting. Big deal, I already have that problem. She said the progesterone would need to be used in addition to condoms. Sounded like a big pain so I said no thank you. She also offered Implanon which is the new Nor-plant. I mentioned something about bleeding from the implants and she looked at me like I was nuts. I had to "remind" her I was on blood thinners. Funny. Not. I will be going back in for another exam in the summer and will be firmly, but politely asking for a different Doctor.

Stress is at an all time high in my life. Honestly, the second all-time high I have had. But, it doesn't seem to be effecting my blood levels. Not that I should abuse that knowledge, but I am very grateful that I have my health during my stress issues with work and school. And my family (both mine and Dustin's) and friends. Everyone has been so wonderful to me, I am truly a happy person deep down....just really stressed and probably don't ooze out much happiness at all. It is there, I promise!

Despite many of the claims of weight gain on blood thinners, I have not had that problem. Since my weight loss in the fall, I have managed to keep it off and have maintained. I am hoping summer will help get a few more pounds off...without much effort. I laugh at myself just seeing that written out.

Dustin and I flew out to Vegas the first week of April. We had a phenomenal time. It was so good to get away and enjoy each other away from our comfort zones. We had our moments but all in all had a lot of fun together. I am looking forward to our next trip together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home